Bristol Type 403 - 2 litre Saloon
Production: 1953 - 1955
A final development of the Type 401, this Type was introduced in 1953. Production was to be continued for two more years and ceased in 1955.
The Type 403 was the fourth model produced by the company. The body is easily identified by chrome numbers 403 mounted on both flanks of the bonnet lid and the centre of the boot lid. The background colour to centre of the body flank and Hub Cap badges, unlike the preceding models, should be red. The sidelights were mounted on the top of the wing. Originally, the front grille inserts were painted silver.
The Type 403 was initially fitted with a more developed Bristol 100A series engine, but later cars were fitted the more advanced 100B series unit. This in turn was itself further developed, becoming the 100B2 series and was combined with a remote short shift gearbox with Laycock de Normanville overdrive on top gear. This was fitted as standard on the last few Type 403 models. The more powerful transmission package was later to be fitted as standard on the Type 405 Saloon.
Many early Type 403 cars were so modified and these engine units are identified as either 100AB series or 100AB2 series units according to specification. Because of the increased power from even the base level 100A series engine unit, an anti-roll or sway bar was added to stiffen the front suspension. The brake linkage was modified to reduce pedal pressures and Alfin brake drums were fitted (initially on all four wheels, but later only on the front wheel units, the extra cooling on the rear drums having proved unnecessary).
This Type 403, clearly marked by the bonnet and red coloured wing flank pegasus badges, has the original style silver painted inserts to the chrome trimmed BMW styled radiator grilles. Note also the additional but discreetly camouflaged twin horizontal air intakes at mid bumper level; these were introduced on the Type 401 and retained on the Type 403.